Excerpts Continued

The Following are more excerpts from Maligaant's personal journal:

Day 5: Acolyte set adrift
[Excerpt from page 14: Today I watched as a native acolyte went through a very long ceremony at the Seer's temple. The acolyte was handed a bottle of some sort of blood wine, drank it and then fell comatose. Attending Seers carried him outside and down a steep winding path to a riverbed where he was placed into a canoe. By this time blood was beginning to flow from his eyes and he was uttering words in a strange dialect though still very comatose. The Seers then set the canoe adrift to slowly float down stream.  It was explained to me that if he returned he'd be accepted as a new member of the Seers but that most do not return.  I wanted to follow the canoe but was told journey down the river was expressly forbidden by the Prophet Bhauldog.]



Day 5: Pit Fiend
[Excerpt from page 15: Today Thundrarg introduced me to his people's method of punishing violators of the  9  Tenets.  He took me to a deep pit near the Seer's temple and had me lowered down inside a large cage. Apparently caretakers use the cage to keep the pit's inhabitants fed. Torches outside the cage lit up the pit as I descended until the cage came to a stop several meters above the pit floor.  I could see clearly the terrible beasts that were eyeing the cage. Thundrarg said they were called Pit Fiends, a more apt name I could not think of myself.  For violators lowered down here, no cage was provided.]


Day 7: Thunder Serpent
[Excerpt from page 19: A Thunder Serpent. These people sure know how to name things! We could hear it's approach from several kilometers away. By the ground shaking impacts of it's steps I can only imagine it's mass to be many times greater than a Krayt Dragon. I was told the one we saw was still very young and small.]



Day 7: Skull Fang Spider
[Excerpt from page 19: This GIANT spider was 3 meters long from jaws to spinneret! and nearly got the drop (literally) on Toby. If it hadn't been for the keen eyes and fast reaction time of Shane I fear it would have killed my friend and mentor.  Fortunately our Sc'raths made fast work of this foul thing. Thundrarg was so impressed with our Togorian blades he traded me a vial of  poison for one. I believe this is a great honor and a rare offer among his people. The poison is one of  his people's most important hunting items, perhaps the most lethal poison I've ever personally witnessed.
The spider itself the people call a Skull Fang and apparently is responsible for more of the natives deaths than any other creature on the island. I'm thinking due to it's stealth and venomous bite. According to Thundrarg the venom of this spider is extremely lethal, death is nearly instant.]
Day 9: Ancient Ruins

[Excerpt from page 22: Thundrarg brought us only to the surface entrance of these cavernous ruins and would go no further. We spent nearly two days exploring them on our own and it was obvious we could have spent weeks. Truly massive in size they continued down deep into the belly of the island. We encountered and fought many creatures from massive spiders to giant serpents!! We also saw signs of technology!! Ancient shattered data pads and long dead control panels.
We must return here and explore further!  ]

Comments

Popular Posts